Have you ever wanted to do something differently in the classroom?What we have in mind is that your role of a teacher can change tremendously. You would not be sage on the stage anymore, but guide by the side.
What are Participatory Learning (PL) Methodologies?
Participatory Learning is an emerging group of methodologies for hosting learning by facilitating conversations between participants leading to opportunities for deeper and broader learning and building social capital skills (that also increase social, and emotional learning). The methodologies are based on the Art of Hosting (known also as Art of Participatory Leadership) approach and are adapted for the field of education.
What does it mean ‘Hosting Learning’?
- Using PL Methodologies to GO with the FLOW of Natural Learning
- Using PL Methodologies to Create Learning Communities
- Using PL Methodologies to Build Social Capital Skills
Hosting learning for you as a teacher also means that you become a facilitator of the learning process. You will start to practice principles that will help to maximize collective intelligence, integrate and utilise diversity, practice collaboration, build leadership, and train managing conflict and working with diverse thinking.
Why students love the Participatory Learning methodologies:
- they are really actively engaged in learning,
- they co-create the lessons, projects, school environment
- they are creative, innovative and passionate learners,
- they are much more motivated for learning,
- they practice leadership and collaborative work,
- they are building social capital skills needed to succeed in both education and the workplace, etc.
On our training Learner voice: engage students in participative and collaborative learning you will have the opportunity to learn and practice some of the methodologies like Circle, Open Space technology, World Cafe, Appreciative Inquiry, etc. You will also have the opportunity to learn and experience the power of storytelling.
Remember one thing: We can make a difference in the lives of the students we serve! You make the choice…….Shift your role – become a host of learning!
Author: Petra Založnik, BSc in Teacher Education and Sociology of Culture, is educator, evaluator and designer of innovative approaches to learning and teaching in the field of education, also our trainer in the course Learner voice: engage students in participative and collaborative learning